The Theatre Arts program at County Prep HS has had an unusual yet rewarding year. The students undergo a rigorous and rewarding program based on the professional model and focus on classics, world theatre, modern plays, musicals, and improvisations. Our productions and classes offer students the opportunity to develop individual interest while gaining invaluable practical experience in acting, musical theatre, and stagecraft. The students start by learning both important aspects of the history of theatre and basic acting skills and are first assigned classical monologues and scenes. They take part in auditions for our mainstage productions; they participate in field trips to Brooklyn Academy of Music, Manhattan Theatre Club, or the Roundabout Theatre and take workshops with various professional directors and theatre artists. They also participate in competitions such as the Teen Arts competition at NJCU, the Papermill Playhouse Musical competition, and the Montclair State Theatre Night Foxy Awards.
- HCST Gala and Fundraiser- the students presented a short selection of scenes, and songs from our musical Chicago, The High School Edition
- The Christmas Show - the students presented a short selection of scenes, and songs from our musical Chicago, The High School Edition as well as a Holiday skit entitled The Office, written and performed by the members of the Improv show
- Chicago, The High School Edition
- Our Sixth Annual Improv Show and Fundraiser, hosted by Junior Yvelisse Vargas, a hilarious Improv competition and Fundraiser for the Theatre Program
- Now What? Every Actor’s Dilemma during the Great Quarantine, a virtual theatre production
Field Trips, Workshops, and Competitions:
- The Roundabout Theatre on Broadway: The Rose Tattoo by Tennessee Williams
- Sound Painting Workshop with Leese Walker, Artistic, Producing Director and Founder of Strike Anywhere Performance Ensemble
- Voice Over Workshop with award-winning voiceover artist Neil Hellegers
- Teen Arts Competition: Kayla Velazquez and Ivellisses Segovia received the Judge’s Award for their scene from the Odd Couple (Female Version) by Neil Simon.
- The Montclair State Foxy Awards Competition, where last year’s play Paradise Hotel’s Robert Delmonte was nominated for a Foxy award, for Outstanding Performance of A Lead Actor in a Comedy
We are very proud to announce that some of our seniors will continue their theatre education after leaving County Prep. Dynajah Smith will attend The New York Conservatory for the Dramatic Arts, and Yvelisse Vargas will attend the New York Film Academy.
Also, five Chicago performers were awarded $10,000 scholarships to the New York Academy of Dramatic Arts, should they decide to pick this prestigious institution for college: Ariel Rivera, Kayla Velazquez, Arbaz Khan, Matthew Segovia and Khira Fried. Congratulations to all!